In 1996 a small band of boutique self-licensed financial planning practices in Brisbane got together to share ideas and fellowship. These meetings continued and this group became the nexus of the Boutique Financial Planning Principals Association (BFP).
In 2002, the BFP transformed into an association governed by a constitution, steered by Members, and guided by their elected Executive team. Twenty years on, in 2022, we continue to prosper.
While the words may differ slightly, the vision remains as true today as it was in 2002:
To be recognised and respected as the leading association for Principals of boutique Australian financial service licensees in Australia.
We remain a member for member, not for profit association, free of external commercial influences. An association of professionals that respects individual business models and viewpoints. We see our diversity as a strength.
We serve our Members and their interests through collaboration and fellowship, promotion, the provision of member benefits and our advocacy.
In 2022, as we celebrate our 20th anniversary, we reflect on who we are today, what we deliver and what we have achieved.
- Our membership is Australia wide
- It represents 130 AFSL Principals who employ about 450 financial planners
- We are an experienced community (60% held AFSL 10+ years)
- We are also a diverse community (70% of members have less than 5 planners)
- Our focus remains on boutique AFSL business (less than 20 planners)
- Fellowship and collaboration – sharing ideas, issues and solutions
- Website promoting our Members – the business and the Principal
- Special pricing offers for key services and tools
- Conferences and training with a focus on issues relevant to small AFSLs
- We undertake positive advocacy for members through BFP focused submissions to Government, ASIC and Treasury
- We are a Member of the Licensee Leadership Forum bringing our perspective to discussions
- We engage with other professional associations to build a better future for our businesses and our clients
- We are contributors to joint submissions to Government, ASIC and Treasury thereby creating a unified voice
Our members are actively engaged within the financial planning community, through membership of professional bodies, the FPA Board and Committees, presentations at Conferences and involvement in ASIC’s Financial Adviser Consultation Panel.
You can find out more about us at www.bfp.asn.au/about-us
We are proud of who we are and what we have accomplished over the past 20 years – due to the strength and diversity of our community and the member volunteers who form our Executive team.